While sipping at my hot beverage; a large skinny hazelnut latte (haha I love writing blogs and trying to be cosmopolitan!) I was thinking of five improvements that could be made to Bromptons. Some serious, some not- but either way should be considered.
1. Respoking of the back wheel. The number one problem with Bromptons is that the spokes on the back wheel can break if the roads are bumpy or the rider hasn’t reached peak physical performance a.k.a is chubby. This is a nightmare- when one one spoke goes- they all go! So to combat this I had the spokes crossed. This is the old fashioned way of doing it and spoking machines (according to the man who respoked it) cannot do this. However since I have had the spokes crossed I have not had any spokes broken- so far!
2. Sound system. I could put a battery powered cd player on the rack but it wouldn’t annoy people enough. I need a sub-woofer and proper speakers.
3. Flames- flame decals? I think many urban businessmen want to get pimp out their rides and a good way to start is an awesome colour scheme. Brompton already do a lot of colours but nothing that gives out the impression that one likes to ride with gangstas. Think Fast and the Furious meets Urban Commuting. That ride is so low and dirty!
4. A bike lock contraption. Have a really strong lock that will allow the bike to be attached to something when it’s folded up.
5. Built in straps. As soon as the bike is folded up just carry it on your back. It’s really tiring sometimes carrying it by hand up several flights of stairs.
6. Hands-free mobile kit with bluetooth voice command. Gone are the days where you could gaffa tape your phone to the helmet- now you can manoeuvre your schedule around in the same way you manoeuvre around the traffic in the busy cities with both hands on the handlebar- and whilst looking stylish!
7. Cup-holder. Nothing says “I’ll grab a grande extra-hot skinny sugar-free caramel extra-strong de-decaffeinated machiato to go” more than a cup-holder! Have one on the handlebar stem next to the Hands-free kit with Bluetooth voice command and you’ll be zipping and sipping along the bus lane on your busy Monday morning commute.
So Brompton check these ideas out and your production demand will drastically improve. Congratulations so far on an excellent sales performance so far!